What is HIIT?
HIIT refers to “High-Intensity Interval Training” and is one of many great training methods that promote fat loss when performed 1-3 times per week. The trait that follows HIIT is the hard-hitting label but this can be adaptable to suit all ages and fitness levels with low impact programs too!
Benefits of HIIT
HIIT training can be your secret weapon in your toolbox when used effectively for proven health benefits backed up by research. Here are some reasons why you should consider high-intensity interval training when designing your weekly training regimen. Studies have shown that HIIT workouts:
- Boost fitness levels effectively due to increased work capacity which will help all areas of your training from strength, and power to muscular endurance (aerobic and anaerobic.)
- Increase lactic acid threshold allows your body to respond to higher training intensities for longer durations. This is a great environment for your working muscles in order to burn fat and increase pain threshold.
- More bang for your buck! A real advantage of HIIT over LISS is that workouts are shorter, which is perfect for busy people who still want to get effective cardio in your training regime. (training time: 5-15mins)
- Pump up your Metabolic Rate! The after-burn effect does exist and is the increased energy expenditure and elevated heart rate after your HIIT. Your muscles cells perform physiological and metabolic processes at a higher rate and for longer after your workout due to the intensity of the workout to restore your pre-exercise state.
What is LISS?
LISS refers to “Low-Intensity Steady-State” training and is also another effective training method that contrasts HIIT approach to cardio-vascular exercise. LISS has many great benefits when performed 3-5 times per week.
Benefits of LISS
LISS training is locked and loaded ready to go for beginners and advanced trainers. This is a great training tool we use at JWPT when starting off individuals that are completely new to exercise or need an extra push during a 12-week coaching program. Here are the benefits to LISS exercise:
- It gets you outdoors in nature’s gym for a walk or even a bike ride. You get to go exploring up your local trails and woodland whilst getting some fresh, exposure to sunlight, and can even take the family out with you. That’s 3 birds with 1 stone!
- Very easy to recover from which is great to know when you have a target of 30 minutes exercise per day therefore your muscles will not be too sore tomorrow to exercise. In fact, it might boost your recovery between strength-based workouts. This is a direct results of increased blood flow and nutrient delivery to the damaged muscles.
- The Stress Buster for busy people who handle a lot of stress, being able to take time out of the office or last thing in the evening can be great for bringing down cortisol levels which is a hormone we need to control when improving body composition. In addition to this, it will bring back clarity of the mind to retune your mindset. Great opportunity to listen to music or podcasts whilst your power walking!
- Zero problems with over-training using LISS as this is very easy to recover from there is no real limit on this form of exercise. Again, the key is to build up over weeks but always listen to your body as legs may feel fatigued when you initially get started.
Thanks for reading my blog and allow this to motivate you! Move more and learn more to achieve a better quality of life and feel invincible every day of the week!
Thanks Jake Wood